On June 4th, HBPD was notified of a scam targeting renters. The owner of 41 and 43 East Main Street has his property "For Sale" and it is listed at Zillow and Trulia online. A scammer has listed the property as "For Rent" on craigslist.
To avoid being a victim of similar scams when renting a property, the below tips may help;
- Avoid dealing in cash.
- Never rent without looking at the property in person with the landlord.
- Always sign a written lease. This protects you and the landlords interests.
- Search online to find the property owners name.
- Beware of the Middleman scam.
- If the rent price is too good to be true, it probably is.
- Try to make contact with neighbors to be sure property is for rent.