Excessive Heat Watch
Excessive Heat Watch in effect from Friday, 12:00 PM EDT until Sunday, 10:00 PM EDT.
Source: U.S. National Weather Service
...EXCESSIVE HEAT WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH SUNDAY EVENING...
* HEAT INDEX VALUES...Between 100 and 110 Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
* TIMING...The highest values will be in the afternoons, but overnight low temperatures will also be very warm and the air oppressively muggy. Saturday will be the hottest day, with heat indices between 105 and 110.
* IMPACTS...The heat and humidity may cause heat stress during outdoor exertion or extended exposure.
- Limit or reschedule strenuous outdoor activities.
- Find shade and stay hydrated.
- Check up on the elderly, sick and those without air conditioning.
- Never leave kids or pets unattended...look before you lock.
In addition, Dauphin County is making fans and air conditioning units available to senior citizens due to the dangerously high temperatures this week.
The air conditioning units and fans are available to adults age 60 and over who qualify for services. Residents in need can call the Dauphin County Area Agency on Aging at 717-780-6130 to request a fan or air conditioner or to obtain other assistance, such as transportation to an air-conditioned place.
Senior citizens can also seek refuge from the high temperatures at the following area senior centers:
- Bistline Senior Center, 1291 S. 28th Street, Harrisburg, Monday – Friday, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- B’Nai B’rith Senior Center, 130 Third Street, Harrisburg, Monday – Friday, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- East Hanover Senior Center, 8848 Jonestown Rd., Grantville, Monday, Wednesday, Friday, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Edgemont Senior Center, 2400 Oxford Avenue, Harrisburg, Monday – Friday, from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Friendship Senior Center, 5000 Commons Drive, Harrisburg, Monday – Friday, from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Heinz-Menaker Senior Center, 1824 North 4th Street, Harrisburg, Monday – Friday, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Hoy Senior Center, 301 Mohn Street, Steelton, Monday – Friday, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Jewish Community Center, 3301 North Front Street, Harrisburg, Tuesday and Thursday, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Lick Towers Senior Center, 1301 North 6th Street, Harrisburg, Monday – Friday, from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Lykens Senior Center, 200 West Main Street, Harrisburg, Monday – Friday, from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Millersburg Senior Center, 109 Edward Drive, Millersburg, Monday – Friday, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Mohler Senior Center, 25 Hope Drive, Hershey, Monday – Friday, from 8 am. to 4 p.m.
- Rutherford House Center, 3300 Parkview Lane, Harrisburg, Monday – Friday, from 8 am. to 4 p.m.
Review heat safety and preparedness information at weather.gov/safety/heat.